"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up." — Babe Ruth
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." — Zig Ziglar
“A successful team is a group of many hands and one mind.” – Bill Bethel
“Teamwork makes the dream work.” – Bang Gae
“A strong team can take any crazy vision and turn it into reality.”
“Information is the oil of the 21st century, and analytics is the combustion engine.”
- Starbucks operating chief to depart as company eliminates role under 'reinvention'
Starbucks Chief Operating Officer John Culver is departing the company after two decades with the coffee chain.
- Madison Square Garden Entertainment explores possible spinoff that would include iconic NY arena
Madison Square Garden Entertainment announced Thursday it's exploring a spinoff of its live entertainment business.
- Home Depot and Lowe's cite strong demand in earnings reports, but softening could be ahead
Even as homebuilder sentiment dropped, Home Depot and Lowe's saw continued strong demand from contractors.
- Taco Bell tests its own meat substitute ahead of Beyond Meat launch later this year
Taco Bell is testing a plant-based meat substitute made from soy and pea protein at its restaurants in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Cramer's lightning round: Paramount is worth the house of pain
"Mad Money" host Jim Cramer rings the lightning round bell, which means he's giving his answers to callers' stock questions at rapid speed.
- China's heatwave could have a knock-on effect on its economy, says economist
China faces record-breaking heatwaves and is battling a power outage in the Yangtze river area. Extreme temperatures have disrupted crop growth and threatened livestock.
- Companies 'can't really plan' in muddled economic cycles, Jim Cramer warns investors
"In that kind of environment, you can't really plan — you just have to guess," the "Mad Money" host said.
- Strong results from BJ's Wholesale show why we love Costco so much
We take a deep dive into the quarterly results of BJ's Wholesale and Walmart owned Sam's Club to see what we can learn about Costco.
- Activist investor Ryan Cohen completes planned sale of Bed Bath & Beyond stake, stock falls 30%
Cohen said in a filing earlier this week that he intended to sell his holdings of the meme stock.
- NFL, Deshaun Watson agree to 11-game suspension over sexual misconduct claims
Deshaun Watson has been suspended 11-games after an appeal of his initial six-game suspension.
- Airline unions urge carriers not to resume buybacks when bailout ban ends this fall
Airline unions say carriers should prioritize stabilizing their operations instead of stock buybacks.
- Home Depot CEO Ted Decker to replace retiring Craig Menear as chair
Ted Decker will replace former Home Depot CEO Craig Menear, who will retire as chair Sept. 30.
- Swedish entertainment company buys rights to 'Lord of the Rings' films and other Tolkien intellectua
Embracer Group has bought the rights to some Tolkien intellectual property, including movies, video games and theme parks.
- Home sales fell nearly 6% in July as housing market slides into a recession
Sales of previously owned homes fell nearly 6% in July compared with June, according to a monthly report from the National Association of Realtors.
- People aren't cutting back on tips even as inflation surges
Even as diners face higher menu prices, they're not cutting back on tips, according to a new report from Toast.
- What to know about adding a ‘green’ investment fund to your portfolio, now that Biden signed histori
President Joe Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act, a historic climate measure. Here's how investors can buy funds with an environmental focus.
- Tech View: Nifty50 bulls look tired; stay cautious
Mazhar Mohammad of Chartviewindia.in said the weakness is not panning out, as clear-cut sell signals are missing on short-term charts despite being in extremely overbought zones"It needs to sustain above 17,833 to retain a positive stance as the breach of said level can trigger.
- Beginners guide to financial freedom: 4 steps to start your investment journey
Saving is an indispensable part of the financial toolbox, providing the capital imperative to invest: on a minimum level investing allows one to keep pace with cost-of-living expense-upswing created by inflation; on a maximum level, long-term investing opens the possibility of compounding interest.
- Ukraine war: Damage to nuclear plant would be suicide - UN chief
António Guterres makes the warning during a summit with Ukrainian President Zelensky in Lviv.
- Europe storms: Deaths are reported in France, Austria and Italy
Deaths are reported in France, Austria and Italy in violent storms after weeks of heat and drought.
- Trump Organization: Allen Weisselberg pleads guilty to tax crimes
Allen Weisselberg, a long-serving executive at Donald Trump's company, must pay back almost $2m.
- Anteater rescued from wildfire by Bolivian firefighters
Firefighters tackling bushfires found an injured anteater in a scorched protected area.
- Cuba mourns firefighters killed in fuel depot blaze
Sixteen firefighters died battling the fire at the Matanzas fuel depot after it was hit by lightning.
- Covid in China: Fish tested amid Xiamen outbreak
Footage has gone viral showing live fish and crabs being tested in China for the coronavirus.
- Pope rules out sexual misconduct probe of Canadian cardinal
A complaint was filed to the Vatican last year alleging misconduct by Canadian Cardinal Marc Ouellet.
- France's deadly 'urban rodeo' bikers prompt crackdown
A summer scourge in the suburbs leaves young people dead and injured and prompts promises of action.
- Africa's week in pictures: 12-18 August 2022
A selection of the best photos from across Africa and beyond this week.
- Bolsonaro: Brazil's president attempts to grab heckler's phone
A YouTuber films himself shouting insults at Bolsonaro before nearly losing his phone to the president.
Sastra University develops ambient Air Purification System
The system would focus on removing particulate matter from ambient air
Shipping Minister to assess progress of Chabahar port as India looks to formalise cargo mov
Minister on a four day visit to Iran, UAE
July 2022 saw steep decline in M&A deal value as well as PE investments
Absence of big ticket transactions weighed in July 2022 overall deal value, which declined 85% year-on-year to $ 2 billion
Accumulated dues: Power exchanges told not to allow trading by 27 discoms
Discom dues total ₹5,085 crore; some States are working to pay, Telangana to go to court against Posoco move
Exporters holding raw sugar permits given option to ship refined variety
Move will help mills which have refined raw sugar
JK Tyre expects margins to improve on price hike, volume growth
Hopes to achieve 20-25 per cent growth in turnover in the current fiscal
Passive assets near ₹6-lakh crore in AUM
Rising awareness and availability of a wider range make passive funds a preferred bet, say experts
M-cap of BSE-listed cos hit a peak of ₹280.50-lakh crore
Recently-listed stocks too add strength
SEBI eases norms on AIF, VCF investments in overseas firms
However, AIFs and VCFs still cannot invest in companies incorporated in countries that do not follow global money laundering norms, don’t have bilateral MoU with SEBI or jurisdictions which are blacklisted or face restrictions by FATF
CBIC issues norms for summons, arrest under GST Act
Raises monetary limit for action; tells staff not to summon top managers ‘routinely’ The top management cannot be summoned at the first instance
Brokers protest penalties over new client margin norms
Complain of tech glitches at CCs; NSE members Assn writes to SEBI, bourse Huge penalties imposed on the community for reporting shortfall in collection of client collateral
UPI charges: RBI proposal a positive move, say players
UPI charges likely to be phased in
Kharif moong output likely to be a tad higher than last year
Sept rains hold the key; market turns bearish as arrivals begin in parts of Karnataka
‘Electricity (Amendment) Bill 2022 would lead to healthy and ethical competition’
Consumers will get the right to choose their electricity provider, regardless of who controls the physical infrastructure
AIC-Pinnacle to receive ₹45 million under Startup India Seed Fund Scheme
Steel Ministry extends PLI scheme to September 15
The Cabinet had approved the PLI scheme for speciality steel to be implemented over FY24 to FY30
A global storm of stagflation
Inflation will linger, and the slowdown will worsen as the global economy moves in a disinflation glide path
AGMARK certification not required for imported blended edible oil: FSSAI
Move comes after the food safety authority received representations from industry stakeholders seeking clarity on the matter
Letters to the Editor dated August 18, 2022
Depositors left in the lurch
Non resident without permanent establishment in India not liable for TCS
Tour operators and NRIs both faced dilemmas arising from the liability of tax collected at source
More women in workforce means better food security
Study in semi-arid areas shows improved nutritional intake in households with working women
Pharma firm distributed Rs 1,000 crore freebies to doctors to prescribe Dolo 650mg tablets:
Court asked to lay down guidelines to regulate unethical marketing practices by pharmaceutical companies till an effective law is enforced